Skip to content

Study of light

September 9, 2013

As I mentioned, I’m taking a e-course from Arrow and Apple called Study of Light. (The literal meaning of photography in Greek!) It reminds me to see light as one of the most important elements of a photo, just as much as the subject. My biggest challenge is of course low light settings, which I adore. I think we can all agree that anything but broad daylight is a challenge when working with a simple digital point and shoot. I don’t have a tripod, but I use tables or other surfaces to keep my camera steady when possible. Here are a few of my experiments.

DSC04903

DSC05732

DSC05773

DSC05757

DSC05761

DSC05794

DSC05801

DSC05820

DSC05827

DSC05831

Advertisements
13 Comments leave one →
  1. September 9, 2013 4:28 pm

Wow, the colors in some of these are beautiful! I like the two lake ones–the one with the deep blues and the last one with the yellow reflections. The dark blacks create a nice contrast. Really nice set!

I totally agree. It’s so much easier to shoot outdoors rather than indoors with low light. The other option is to change your ISO (can you do that?). It gives you a little more flexibility, but there’s always a trade-off.

• September 9, 2013 7:08 pm

I want to play with ISO more! I can change it 😀

• September 9, 2013 8:45 pm

I use 100 for sunlight, and then increase it for shade and indoors (if not using a tripod). You want to keep it as low as possible, but higher ISO will help with the camera shake since less light is needed for the exposure (the downside is more graininess). I’m sure the course does a better job explaining…

• September 9, 2013 7:36 pm

PS– I’d love to have a post on my blog about your startup! would you be interested in writing a guest post?

2. September 10, 2013 3:13 pm

ISO scares me so much…I know it shouldn’t, and I definitely want to learn. But oh my heavens I am almost too scared to start :S

3. September 10, 2013 6:25 pm

What beautiful pictures. I especially love the first one! I’m really hoping to get a DSLR for my birthday in 2 months… Shooting with a normal cheap digital is tough when you’re wanting to get good pictures.

• September 11, 2013 5:30 pm

oh I can’t wait to see your photos with your new DSLR! that will be a great bday present 🙂

4. September 10, 2013 8:08 pm

oh so gorgeous! beautiful captures!
    xx

5. September 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Experimenting is half the fun! The result is not even in the equasion!

Trackbacks

1. A certain slant of light | pilgrimography

Comments welcomed

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s